Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hey, Church Friends: Please Read this Apology

This is my heartfelt apology to those (esp. church friends) who have misunderstood where I'm coming from.

Let me clarify my heart a little bit.


I'm really sorry to my church friends and leadership who felt like I was singling them out, or criticizing them. My pastor, who I truly respect and have mad (godly) love for, felt like I was taking at a stab at him or the church (or something to that effect) I see why he could feel that way. That was never my intention. I've repented, I'm truly sorry for causing him to be uneasy. I believe it's godly to honor and respect our leadership. I believe that after a lengthy heart to heart convo, he and his soon to be bride understand my intentions a lot more. Others in church read the posts and took them to be a bitter criticism of our church. It's not a bitter criticism of our church or our leadership. I really love my church. After all, I'm there. I could choose to go to any church in the county, but I'm at our church. I'm plugged in and active in church classes. I host cell group in my apartment (something I truly feel blessed and honored to do), I'm in the music ministry. If I was really against our church, I would have just left it long ago. I've made friendships with many girls and we hang out sometimes. This blog is my observation of things I've seen from churches all over the country.

I'm being intentionally controversial. That's the whole point. I want people thinking and praying about Christian dating in a whole new way. That's why I say things like,"Is your church standing the way of you getting a mate?" I could have called that post something far more innocuous like: "Why arent there coed cell groups?" But no. I'm pushing the envelope because I really want people to think, to rightly divide the Word of God, to separate man's word from God's when it comes to dating. So yes, I pick words that make people say, "What? No way! What does she mean by that?" That's why I named the article "Sexy Church." It stands out, it begs to be read. The point of the title, the pics, and frequent use of the word "sexy"were meant to grab the reader's attention. The point of the post, however, is illustrate the need for men, and single men play in the future of the church, to show that we need to especially be seeking out and attracting young single men to church, and the role they play in the future of the church.
Some were offended at me calling my Christian brothers chubby, nerdy, etc. Christ came to seek and save the lost, not seek and save the cool people of this world. What if a guy had written the same thing about church girls and had pics of Beyonce and Jessica Alba on it? Well, one guy did. I meant no disrespect. All of the guys I know are pretty cool. But yes, I did choose a pretty controversial way of illustrating the alarming disparity between the amount single men and the amount of single women in churches today.

To all of my church friends: I will probably continue to be controversial on purpose. That's something that I like to do.That's my style. But I hope that you realize it's not directed at our church or any individual. I have mad love for all you guys and everyone in our church. If I truly had an issue with someone, I wouldn't publish a blog and invite all of you guys to read about it. I wouldn't put my name and email address here.

I'm learning. I'm trying to figure all of this out. I'm making edits. I will probably use more perspicacity and wisdom in word choices and tone. I will stay in prayer, seeking, learning, growing and sharing. I hope that you'll join me in this journey. I'm not always right, but I will redress topics as things are brought to my attention.

If you want to know something, please leave a message. It's anonymous! (I won't know who you are unless you want me to; even if it asks for you email address, I can't see it.)

Love and Nappiness,

RDH

3 comments:

PoupiPoup said...

You have so many valid points. You cannot plead ignorance under the pressures of those who would be offended at what you observe. You have stumbled on to a real, valid problem that you have encountered and no amount of pressure can erase the points you've raised. Dig on and find the hard answers to these deep problems in this system that traditionally frowns upon anything that challenges it's laws. Stay strong and uncover what you can. It's truly refreshing to read your blog. I was a guy who felt disconnected from those I met in my church.

ICE said...

Hey sweetie I love your Blog. It focuses on real life situations and the true nature of a young christian adult trying to their role in this ever-changing world. I truly believe that you will help someone to find answers and solutions to their relationship issues, christian or unsaved. But you have to stay the course. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion, because I know there is someone else out there that wants to speak up but they are afraid. So be their voice and minister to this tight wedged society. Let them know that there is someone in this world who is not afraid to talk and say whats on her mind.

GOD BLESS.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the apology