Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bringing Sexy Back to the Church; Why the Future of the Church Depends Sexy, Manly Guys Like This (Well, kinda)
































Are there a bunch of guys at your church who look like this? Probably not. Why the future of the church may just depend on getting young, attractive, single guys to get saved, attend church, and get active!


I invited my boyfriend to my church's monthly young adult service. I was hoping that the young adult service, with its light show, edgy, rocking music, youtube clips, and modern multimedia presentation would draw him in and give him a more positive church experience. You know, one that would help him relate to the gospel more, get him excited about going to church, and encourage him to strengthen his walk with God. I was hoping that he'd meet some or at least one cool guy to relate to, and be interested in going to a male cell group meeting.

After the service I asked him how he felt about the service.

"It was fine," He said, with much less enthusiasm than I hoped.

"Did you like the music?"

"Yeah, I really liked the music."

"The little videos they showed to illustrate the message?" I asked.

"Yeah, they were cool, too."

"So, what was it that you didn't like?" I really wanted to get to the bottom of his discontent.

"Well, it was the guys."
The guys? What? He went on to explain that every guy he saw was "nerdy, churchy, and chubby." He said that there were a few guys who seemed cool, or potentially fun to be around. He had struck up a nice convo with a named Chris about English League soccer. But the majority of the church guys, to him, anyways, didn't seem cool, relateable, or the type of guys he wanted to hang around, get to know, or join a cell group with. I was about to argue and say, "No, that's not true, there are TONS of cool guys!" And sure, there are cool guys, I don't mean to diss my brothers in the church, but I did see the point he was making. Churches in general, aren't filled to brim with single, sexy, manly guys. There def. seems to be way more single young women than single young men.

I was reading this article on Christianitytoday.com and it was talking about how single guys especially 20something single guys, avoid church because they feel like there's nothing for them. If they return, they return as married men. I read some stat that said there's aprox. 11 million saved single guys in church, and 13 million single girls. What does that mean? 2 million unpaired women. So...what can churches do?

I say we need to a sexy, cool missionary team whose ONLY goal is to recruit sexy, cool single guys. If we don't get more single guys in the church, a generation from now the Church won't grow. The 2 million girls won't marry, and that's 2 million families (let's say, 3.5 million children) who won't exist, who won't grow up in Christian households and grow up to beget more Christian kids and so on and so on and so on. Because if sexy, cool guys are around, new guys will be like, "Yeah, that's where I want to be. These guys seem really cool." Just like my BF would have said. We need more single guys in the church, period. Cool, uncool, attractive, or what have you. The hot, cool, manly guys aren't for the girls, per se, but their for the guys. My thought is that we have a higher number of sexy guys, then they will attract more regular guys with their cool manliness. I don't think the 2 million single girls are praying for Mr. Abercrombie model, or Sonny from Madea Goes to Jail. But their presence would encourage the good, regular everyday guy.

The future of the Church depends on what we do now.

Our young adult events are mostly designed by young women who grew up in the church. Last year, young adult social events included, a scavenger hunt, 2 bonfires ,and ice skating. ICE SKATING. Single, sexy, saved guys (0r guys that may want to get saved) love ice skating, right? I've seen many a cute young, single guy go down to the altar for altar call. And then, I never see them again. I never see them in the young adult service. I never see them at the young adult bonfire, or scavenger hunts. The guys who go to those events are, from what I can tell, the guys who were born into the church, or at least got there long before they were twentysomethings.


We need events that will be fun, exciting, and manly. I'm not a single, sexy, cool dude, but if I was, I probably wouldn't want to go ice skating. I might want to go paintballing, or skydiving, drag racing, camping, hunting, attending sporting events, arm wrestling, BMX riding, etc. I have no idea what Manly McBoydude things there are to do, but not ICE SKATING.

Our church leaders probably don't know how dire the situation is. Our church leaders are all married, and their adult children are, too.

So, ladies and fellas, encourage your church leaders, pastors, elders, etc. to minister, attract to the sexy, cool ,lost young guys of the world. Encourage (somehow) the guys that are in church to look and be cooler, so that they'll attract the hot guys of the world. The future of the Church depends on it!

Tell me what you think!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16.

No comments: